Radcliffe to Use Gift of $470,250 In Building Undergraduate Dorm

To Be Named Comstock Hall

An anonymous donation of $470,250 will go toward the building of a new Radcliffe undergraduate dormitory, President Wilbur K. Jordan announced last night.

Under the terms of the gift, the dorm will be named Louise Comstock Hall, in honor of Ada Comstock Notestein, president emerita of Radcliffe. Mrs. Notestein severed as president from 1923 until 1943.

The $470,250 gift represents approximately one-half the construction cost of the new building, which is needed to help alleviated Radcliffe's acute housing problem. The balance of the total amount remains to be raised.

During the past eight years, two dormitories, Holmes and Moors, have been erected to help accommodate the influx of students requesting housing. Recently, Radcliffe has had trouble providing housing for all who desired it, with the result that many local 'Cliffedwellers have been forced to commute.

Ninety-five percent of the applicants for admission to Radcliffe this year have requested dormitory rooms, while the existing facilities can provide living accommodations for not more than 85 percent of them. With the building of the new Comstock Hall, which will house 110 students, Radcliffe will be able to provide dormitory quarters for any student who wishes to live at the College.

Comstock Hall will complete the third wing of the three-dormitory unit at the north end of the quadrangle.