Pusey Heads Speakers At Gen. Ed. Conference

Experts Will Consider Past and Future of General Education

Harvard's President Pusey will make his only appearance of the Summer School session as the Monday night chairman of the conference "General Education at the Crossroads," which will take place on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of next week.

The Conference's three public sessions will be held at New Lecture Hall at 8:30 p.m. on these days.

Discussing "General Education and the Objective of the Liberal Arts College," with Pusey at the Monday, August 6 session will be Lawrence H. Chamberlain, Dean of Columbia College; Kenneth B. Murdock, Chairman of the Committee on General Education at Harvard; and William Emerson, Professor of History at Yale.

On the second evening of the conference, "General Education and the Secondary Schools" will be discussed by Barnaby C. Keeney, President of Brown; Alan R. Blackmer, Director of Studies at Phillips Academy; Francis Keppel, Dean of the School of Education at Harvard, and Lloyd S. Michael, Superintendent of High Schools, Evanston, Illinois.

"General Education in an Age of Specialization" will be examined at the August 8 public session. Benjamin F. Wright, President of Smith College, and former Chairman of the Committee on General Education at Harvard; Howard Bartlett, Head of the Department of Humanities, and John Morton Blum, Associate Professor of Humanities both at M.I.T.; Bart J. Bok, Professor of Applied Astronomy at Harvard; and Lincoln Gordon, Professor of International Economic Relations at the Harvard Business School, will participate.

The Conference's closed sessions will take place at 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday in Lamont Forum Room. The first will discuss "General Education in Public and Private Colleges." Participants will include Earl J. McGrath, President of The University of Kansas City and former United States Commissioner of Education; Brian A. McGrath, S. J., Academic Vice President of Georgetown and Robert G. Crosen, Dean of the Faculty at Lafayette College.

On Wednesday, August 8, the topic for discussion at the closed session of the Conference will be "Teachers for General Education."