Dyer, Hammond Break Records, Meet Hungarians at M.I.T. Pool

Members of the Hungarian Olympic Swimming Team and the Harvard and M.I.T. varsity swimming squads combined last night to raise an estimated $1500 for Hungarian relief. About 500 people paid the three dollar admission to see swimmers break three records at the M.I.T. natatorium in an exhibition whose entire gate went to the relief fund.

The Hungarian team, which gained asylum after the end of the 1956 Olympics, swam last night as part of a nation-wide fund raising tour. The water polo team, which defeated Russia in a highly controversial game in the 1956 Olympics, split into two squads and staged first a mock game, then a "winter rugby match," involving heads and feet instead of hands. match," involving heads and feet instead of hands.

During the early evening, Laszlo Magyar, a Hungarian swimmer, eclipsed an M.I.T. pool record of :61 by one-tenth of a second in the 100 yard backstroke. Other swimmers participated in races and demonstrations.

Harvard was not left out of the record breaking, however. Two swimmers, Chouteau Dyer and John Hammond, bettered Harvard and M.I.T. marks during exhibition atches. The records probably will not be official, however, since the times were clocked at an exhibition.

Dyer, captain of the varsity swimming team, and Intercollegiate 100 yard freestyle champion, won his specially against Guyla Dobay, Hungarian 100 meter freestyle champion in 49.9 seconds, breaking Harvard and M.I.T. pool records.

Hammond, a sophomore, completed the 100 yard dolphin, or "fishtail" breast-stroke in 57.9, to smash the M.I.T. pool mark of 1:10.1. He also bettered a Harvard time of 58.6 seconds set by himself this year.

Dyer led all the way in his race; one half body length separated him from his competitor at the finish. He has only bettered his time once previously, at Yale, last year.

Unorthodox

The match between Hammond and Bill Veck, M.I.T. varsity swimmer, provided the evening's most unusual performance. The Harvard man swam the breast stroke, While Veck paced him with freestyle. The engineer led by a small margin for the first fifty yards, but Hammond overtook him and won in the final feet. vard did not swim competitively. Dave Hawkins '56, former Crimson varsity swimmer and a 1952 Australian Olympic team member, now a graduate student, illustrated the evolution of the breast stroke in a series of demonstrations.

The fourth man, Greg Stone '58, staged a stunt with Charlie Batterman, M.I.T. diving coach. The varsity diver made his entrance during a Hungarian diving exhibition. Suddenly, as a diver poised to execute a "three summersault half twister," the sport coat-clad clown pushed his way through the audience onto the pool deck. "You're too small to do such dives. Let me try!" protested Stone. He did. Sportcoat, tie, Stone and all plumeted into the water