Ike, Scientists Plan Discussions On Missiles, Satellite Progress; Russian Orb Again Sighted Here

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, Oct. 14--President Eisenhower will take up tomorrow with leading U.S. scientists the problems of this country's satellite and ballistics missiles program.

Meeting with the President will be members of his Science Advisory Committee, which reports to him through the Office of Defense Mobilization. It is headed by Dr. Isador Rabi, professor of Physics at Columbia University.

Sen. Symington (D-Mo.), former secretary of the Air Force, said yesterday the United States must take immediate steps to catch up with the Soviets.

Symington told a news conference that while Russia does not now have an operational intercontinental ballistics missile ICBM, it would have one within two or three years capable of attacking any part of the United States.

Sputnik Sighted

CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Oct. 14--A team of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory at Cambridge, Mass., was able to train telescopes and cameras for about a minute on the rocket which fired the Red satellite into space.

The team did not spot the satellite, believed a few minutes behind the rocket itself.

Leonard P. Giblin, Associated Press newsman who was among the watchers, said the rocket was brighter than any of the stars visible in the early day light.

Court Bars Hoffa

WASHINGTON, Oct. 14--James R. Hoffa, battling a barrage of federal court charges threatening to loosen his tight grip over the Teamsters, was barred today from taking over as the union's president.

U.S. District Judge F. Dickinson Letts granted a New York Teamsters member group a 10-day restraining order against Hoffa from taking the reins from retiring Dave Beck.