Administration Will Crack Down On Motorcycles, Motor Scooters

Noise and Accidents

The Administration plans to take "definite action" against motor cycles and motor scooters unless drivers stop "racing around in the evening," Arthur D. Trottenberg '48, Director of Operating Services, announced yesterday.

Trottenberg said that masters of the Houses and professors have complained about the noise of cyclists' removing their cutoff equipment.

A different complaint was voiced by the University Police who reported that a woman tripped over a scooter near Lamont Library, and two persons have had broken necks as the result of a series of accidents.

The Police have begun ticketing motor scooters and motorcycles that are parked illegally on University property or across sidewalks, and plan to give tickets to speeders along University-owned Divinity Avenue and near Kirkland in a campaign to curtail accidents. They are also ticketing scooters parked in the Yard.

66 Vehicles Registered

Police Sergeant Carl Ikels reported that there are 66 cycles and scooters registered with the University, fifty with Massachusetts registration plates. Thirteen of these cycles have been registered in the past two weeks.

Some University officials report that the new 11:30 curfew, established October 10, has brought about better conditions. Elliot Perkins '23, Master of Lowell House said last night, "I've not noticed the noise since I told them to stop playing footsie with the things after 11:00.