Another Part of the Forest

Cabbages and Kings

By Bryce E. Nelson

While most of the rest of Congress was concerning itself with defense, foreign aid, and civil rights, one Senator launched a vehement single-handed campaign to prevent the renaming of the Clearwater National Forest to honor the late Bernard DeVoto. To be sure, there were many other instances of Congressional inanity (the House changed the name of its custodians to "maintenance superintendents") but this spiteful action prevented honoring a man who well deserved the memorial.

Senator Richard Neuberger of Oregon sponsored a bill for the renaming of the Clearwater National Forest, which is in the northern "Panhandle" area of Idaho. This seemed acceptable until Senator Henry C. Dworshak of Idaho launched into a tirade against the measure on August 2 of this year:

"The overwhelming consensus of opinion among my constituents clearly indicates that they would prefer that the junior Senator from Oregon concentrate his efforts at renaming national forests within the state of Oregon, thus leaving Idahoans free to enjoy the colorful names of Idaho areas," Dworshak cited six letters, concluding "I see no reason for changing the name."

Neuberger replied that DeVoto had willed his ashes be spread along the Lolo Trail in the Clearwater, since he had done so much research there on his edition of The Journals of Lewis and Clark. Off the floor, Neuberger called Dworshak's statement a "personal vendetta against him" rather than a rational discussion of the problem.

In gaining a very few votes, Dworshak effectively halted renaming the Clearwater for a man who made a tremendous contribution to the cause of conservation. Lucius Beebe, in his paper, The Virginia City (Nev.) Territorial Enterprise, called Dworshak "an illiterate clod" for his actions. But, despite this type of reaction, conservative inertia and political expediency will probably triumph. Idahoans will continue to revel in the historical and aesthetic significance of the name "Clearwater."