Russia Requests U.N. Assistance In Preventing U.S.-Turk 'Attack'; Turkey Replies to Syrian Charge

By The ASSOCIATED Press

UNITED NATIONS, N.Y., Oct. 16--The Soviet Union called on the U.N. today to halt a surprise attack on Syria allegedly planned by the United States and Turkey. Russia offered to join other U.N. members in supplying military forces to meet such an attack.

The Russians charged that the United States urged Turkey to launch an attack with "lightning speed," in order to confront the U.N. with a situation whereby the world organization "may have no time to take steps to prevent aggression."

The United States quickly endorsed a move to have the U.N. Assembly consider the situation in the Middle East.

Countercharge

ANKARA, Oct. 16--Turkey has sent Syria a note reported to countercharge that the Syrians are raising a diversionary clamor to cover up a Soviet move-in on the Middle East.

The note was sent today as Secretary of State Dulles in Washington warned that Soviet aggression against Turkey could bring U.S. action.

Turkish official circles were warm in praise of Dulles' statement that the United States must be on guard against a possibility of Soviet aggression.

Queen Arrives

WILLIAMSBURG, Va., Oct. 16--Queen Elizabeth II arrived to a royal welcome in the United States today and promptly bowed her head in a prayer for a "just and lasting peace."

The shy young monarch, the first reigning British Queen to visit North America, started her six-day U.S. stay in storied Virginia.