Atty. General Brownell Resigns, Rogers Selected as Replacement; Syria Refuses Saud's Mediation

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, Oct. 23--Herbert Brownell Jr. resigned today as U.S. attorney general. He said the settling of federal policy in the Little Rock school integration dispute freed him to return to private law practice.

The White House said President Eisenhower accepted the resignation and will appoint Dep. Atty. Gen. William P. Rogers Jr. to the Cabinet post. Rogers is a close friend of Vice President Nixon.

By his resignation, Brownell avoids a prospective series of trips to Capitol Hill in the next session where he would come face to face wiht angry Southern critics.

However, he told his news conference that Southern criticism "did not enter into my calculations at all."

Syria Rejects Mediation

DAMASCUS, Oct. 23--Syria today formally rejected King Saud's mediation offer and accused the U.S. Navy of sending planes deep over Syria.

Maj. Gen. Bizry, army chief of staff, said "We believe the planes are not coming from Turkey but from the U.S. 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean because this fleet is working together with the massing of Turkish troops on the Syrian border."

U.S. Reappraises Aid to Tito

WASHINGTON, Oct. 23--The State Department disclosed officially today that "we are reappraising" United States programs of economic and military aid for Communist Yugoslavia.

The reason for the U.S. action, officials said, is dissatisfaction with President Tito's recognition last week of Communist East Germany and questions raised here as to whether Tito is moving back into the Soviet orbit.