U.N. Councils to Ask Dean Ballard To Grant Permission for Merger

Representatives of the Harvard and Radcliffe United Nations Councils will petition Dean Ballard for joint membership today. If approved, the 48-member Harvard club and its 69-member Radcliffe counterpart will ask the Student Council to ratify the constitution of the combined organizations.

The proposed club integration raises several problems. With a majority of the membership, Radcliffe could possibly gain control of the nine-member executive board. But Harvard U.N. Council President Philip Chartrand '58 says he is not worried. Chartrand is counting on the greater membership potential of Harvard to even out club ranks. He hopes that the appeal of a combined club will spark the membership drive planned for next semester.

Radcliffe presidency of the club is also possible. But, Chartrand says, "The job will probably stay in male hands, because its functions are more easily handled by a boy."

There should be no question of control in a club which has one set of common interests, according to Gail Warshofsky '59, president of the Radcliffe group. If the merger is approved, she feels that the club will work as a unit, with no power struggles.

A single board of committee chairmen will replace the present duplicate ones. The two-club treasuries will be combined, and all activities jointly sponsored. At present, the clubs must coordinate activities through separate committees, or attempt single sponsorship of speakers and social and cultural affairs.

If the merger is approved, Chartrand hopes the combined groups will set a precedent for similar moves by other University organizations.