'Cliffe Government Favors Renaming Merged Groups

By Martha E. Miller

The Radcliffe Student Council in a straw vote at its last meeting backed the suggestion that a Harvard organization wishing to extend membership to Radcliffe should change its name to "Harvard-Radcliffe." However, the Council unanimously vetoed the proposed stipulation that a joint activity must include a girl on its executive board at all times.

Susan Olsen '58, president of the Radcliffe Student Government, told the Council that the Annex Administration favored both these proposals as prerequisites for joint membership in extracurricular organizations.

Although the Council thought that groups, upon admitting girls, should change their titles to include the word "Radcliffe," it was suggested that organizations whose names have a "historical tradition" might be able to petition to retain their original names.

Even if the Administrations of the two colleges lift the restriction on Radcliffe membership, it will probably be necessary for each club to petition the Student Councils individually for permission to become joint, Miss Olsen said.

The Student Government president emphasized that the Council, in discussing club merger, was not taking an official stand on the issue, but was trying to sound out the opinions of its members.

Miss Olsen and Lynn V. Moorhead '58, vice-President of the Student Council, met on Thursday with Wilbur K. Jordan, President of Radcliffe, to discuss the possibility of Radcliffe membership in Harvard clubs. Because Jordan has been out of the country until this month, the meeting was scheduled more to acquaint him with the latest developments on the subject than to formulate any definite opinions, Miss Olsen said.

The Student Council president will meet next week with the presidents of all Radcliffe organizations for discussion of club merger.