Cross Country Squad Shuts Out Dartmouth for Fifth Straight Win

Harvard minus two men proved mightier than Dartmouth minus two men, so the varsity cross country team recorded its fifth straight win and its second shutout of the season, blanking the Indians 15 to 50 at Hanover yesterday afternoon.

Dyke Benjamin, recovered from his poison ivy, led the Crimson onslaught which placed eleven of its twelve men before Dartmouth's first finisher.

Actually, the meet was never in doubt, as Benjamin took an early lead, held it over the Dartmouth course's one hill, and coasted to an easy 25-yard win over teammate Jim Schlaeppi.

Schlaeppi turned in by far his most impressive showing of the season, despite a work schedule which allows him to grab only short practices at odd hours during the week.

Sophomore Wes Hildreth also turned in his best performance of the year, as he placed third, while Captain Dave Norris finished right behind him.

Bill Thompson continued his consistent scoring, placing fifth, while French Anderson and Mac Brown finished in a dead heat, to provide the varsity with its displacement points.

Sophomore Dave Donaldson finished a solid eighth, with Al Gordon ninth. Right on Gordon's heels was another surprising sophomore, Joe Julian, in his first year of formal running. Gary Brooten, called at the last minute as a replacement for ailing Pete Reider, ran his best race of the year, finishing only a second behind Julian.

Reider, still bothered by his respiratory ailment, did not make the trip, nor did sophomore Ed Martin, who is still under the weather with the flu. Dartmouth's top two runners were also felled by the ubiquitous oriental.

Coach Bill McCurdy was well pleased with the showing of his team, especially Schlaeppi and Hildreth,