Council, Monro Present Opinions on Combine

Executive Committee Asks Control Change

Administration officials in the Harvard Student Agencies, Inc. should insure that the University is the "sole authority" in the new student agents corporation, the Student Council executive committee asserted yesterday. The committee also criticized the "perhaps tactless actions" of the Agencies officials in their haste to put the organization into operation.

The Council Committee's statement reads: "The Student Council Executive Committee met with Dean Watson, Assistant Dean (John W.) Ballard, and Mr. Dustin Burke (director of Student Employment) this afternoon and discussed the Harvard Student Agencies, Inc. questions. While we have not drawn up any specific recommendations, we are of the following opinion at this time.

"The intent in founding and future purpose of the Harvard Student Agencies, Inc. is worthwhile and has many possibilities. Many student doubts have been raised by perhaps tactless actions in the haste to get the HSA, Inc. into operation immediately this fall. We feel, however, that a legitimate fear of monopoly and control by a small group of men exists.

"Certain clarifications should subsequently be worked out and included in the understanding between the Harvard Student Agencies, Inc., and the University and students if real services are to be held in trust for the student body. We feel that the establishment of this organization is a deviation from the past policy of having the University as the only authority as regards student employment.

"We are most pleased that the Board of Directors of the HSA, Inc. includes the University officials that it does. We hope these officials will consider the problems we feel exist and take steps to insure an adequate solution which will guarantee that the University is the sole authority in all facets of student employment, and that the Harvard Student Agencies, Inc. does not exert any undue pressures and influence."