Houses Get $2400 Each From Foundation Grant

By Richard N. Levy

The seven House masters and the Allston Burr Senior Tutor of Dudley have been given $2400 for educational purposes from the Ford Foundation grant made to the University two years ago. This is an increase of $1,000 over the amount allocated to the Houses last year by the Corporation.

The grant is again to be used "to add to the net educational impact of the House in any way the Master sees fit," as the Corporation suggested last year. The masters have been urged not to use the money for House maintenance or for formal academic instruction.

House masters expressed enthusiasm over the increase. Reuben A. Brower, master of Adams, claimed that "this, more than any other thing since Mr. Lowell, has permitted the Houses to perform their educational function. Before the two grants were made," Brower commented, "we all had the will, but not the means."

As for deployment of the grant, Brower asserted that "my idea is that it should be used for people who will visit in various fields." He is now in the process of inviting poets and scientists to reside in the House for a time. At least one such figure has agreed to come to the House, but Brower would not reveal who had been invited.

Other House masters had not such definite plans. Gordon M. Fair, master of Dunster, said yesterday that his House was planning to continue its drama workshop under the direction of Gaynor F. Bradish, Teaching Fellow in English. The House will also institute a visual arts room, to be run by an as yet unnamed artist from outside the House.

Kirkland House, which instituted an art room last year, will probably use some of the grant to produce a literary magazine.

Other House masters could not be reached for comment.