Kaapu Hits 'Coercion' In Newsstand Policies

Burke Denies University Pressure

By Jerome A. Chadwick

New controversy arose last night in the apparent attempt by the University to centralize most student-operated agencies in the College through the newly-formed Harvard Student Agencies, Inc.

Kekoa D. Kaapu '58, operator of the Eliot House newsstand, asserted yesterday that he "was being pressured to relinquish private, individualistic business practices in the operation of the stand." Kaapu complained that his suppplier had been warned not to deliver further orders to him, presumably to force him to buy through a newly-organized central purchasing agency, a member of the student agencies corporation.

Kaapu related that upon his return to the College last month, John Gianetti '57, one of the directors of the central purchasing agency, informed him that Kaapu was now working for him and would have to purchase supplies through his agency.

The newsstand operator refused, on the grounds that he could operate the stand more efficiently and conveniently without using the central purchasing agency. He heard nothing more of the matter until Tuesday, when his usual bi-weekly order did not appear.

Supply "Cut Off"

Kaapu was told by his supplier, The Manning Co., that the firm had been advised "not to deliver orders to College newsstands except through the central agency." Since then Kaapu has been buying from a Central Square concern which does not deliver.

He asserted last night that he will not cooperate with the purchasing agency unless threatened with denial of the privilege of operating his stand.

Burke Denies Charge

Dustin M. Burke '52, director of the Student Placement Office and general manager of the Student Agencies combine, flatly denied the charge that his office had exerted pressure on the supplier to discourage delivery to Kaapu. He further asserted that newsstand operation would be no less efficient under the proposed system, and stated that operators would make just as much money, since only the directors of the purchasing agency would be taxed by the HSA.

The Manning concern, he explained, is one of the firms with which the central agency is dealing. The firm had been induced to offer substantial discounts if supplies for all newsstands were channeled through the new agency.

Of the discounts, 10 per cent would go to the corporation and the rest to the directors of the new purchasing agency, Gianetti and Peter Diamadopoulos 7G.

Manning's, according to Burke, called him to discover why a single newsstand operator was ordering directly, instead of through the agency. The firm asked Burke's advice on whether to deliver to Kaapu.

Burke merely pointed out that "individual orders would weaken the central agency, and that any potential benefits to Manning would be denied the firm if the central agency were not at full strength. The firm presumably made its own decision," Burke added.

The news agency is apparently now operating on very shaky ground, since all stands are not cooperating