Union Rooms Will Receive Flu Patients

Farnsworth Requests Aides For Nursing Possible Cases

By Alan H. Grossman

The University Health Services will convert the second floor lounge rooms of the Freshman Union into infirmary wards for the care of Asian Flu victims by late this afternoon, Dr. Dana L. Farnsworth announced last night. Farnsworth also called for volunteers to fill "the urgent need for help in caring for students who are ill with acute respiratory infections."

Stillman Nearly Full

Farnsworth revealed that over 40 students suffering from upper respiratory infections were admitted to Stillman Infirmary during the weekend, and at least 15 more were admitted yesterday. There are now over 70 patients in Stillman, nearly filling its capacity of 85.

Probable Cases

Although blood analyses are not yet complete, Farnsworth said that "we assume these respiratory infections to be Asian Flu." It was explained that the results of the tests would not be known until the end of the week, because of the failure to isolate virus from the blood samples which were taken last week.

Will Not Use House Entries

The decision to use the Freshman Union lounges as an infirmary came after a meeting of Health Services officials with masters of the Houses, key members of the House staffs, and representatives of the Office of the Freshman Dean. Farnsworth indicated that they had temporarily set aside plans to use House entries for the care of patients.

"Students with mild cases will be encouraged to remain in their rooms," he continued. He emphasized, however, that if complications arise, they should be reported immediately to proctors or members of the House staff.

The Health Services has almost finished inoculating key University personnel, and will begin injecting students as soon as regular supplies of vaccine begin arriving "We will start arbitrarily, with a big block of students," Farnsworth stated.