Marquand to Act as 'Writer In Residence

Visit of Two Weeks Planned in Kirkland

John P. Marquand '15 has accepted an invitation to live in Kirkland House for the last two weeks of November, Charles H. Taylor, Master of Kirkland, announced yesterday.

In his letter of acceptance, Marquand, an honorary associate of Kirkland, said that his visit would be an experiment to determine the possible value of a "writer in residence" living in the Houses. If it goes well, he said, other writers might be invited, in cooperation with the English Department.

Marquand is making the experiment both as a writer and as a member of the Board of Overseers. As an Overseer, he cannot have any official connection with the English Department. However, he will maintain informal relations, and will visit several writing courses during his stay.

Bate Approves

Walter J. Bate '39, chairman of the English Department, said that probably any future "writers in residence" would officially be guests of the Houses, with the "blessing" of the English Department. "They would want to meet students, not teach classes," he said.

Beginning Nov. 18, Marquand will stay in the guest suite of Kirkland House and will eat his meals in the House dining room.

Marquand will be available for consultations with students, and will probably meet small parties, and give an informal talk to the whole House in the Junior Common Room.

An eminent novelist, Marquand won the Pulitzer Prize in 1938 for "The Late George Apley."