Yale Officials Order Cancellation Of 'Win A Beautiful Girl' Contest

NEW HAVEN, Oct. 31--A contest offering blind dates for the Harvard weekend has been cancelled by Yale University officials, who deemed it in "poor taste".

Three beautiful girls, reportedly from Smith, Vassar, and Wellesley, were the prizes. Besides the dates, winners would have received tickets to the football game and the theater, spending money, and rooms for their dates.

"The campaign panders to the very basest instincts of the least mature members of the University," the Yale Daily News commented earlier. Observing that the contest was conducted with "less than unassailable good taste," the News called this promotion "symptomatic of drives and attitudes favoring the gaudy and the gauche that are apparently inherent in the Yale mind."

Seven students promoted the contest, entitled "She Is Here," in cooperation with various New Haven merchants, but received no recompense. Terms of the contest included picking the winners of seven football games and writing an essay on why the student needed a date with a pretty college girl.

Student reaction to the cancellation was mixed. According to an editor of the Yalie Daily, "A lot of people thought it was in fairly bad taste, but would have liked to see it go through--college humor, you know."

Few, if any, entries had been completed, but there was much interest.