Stevenson, Professors Ask More Funds for Education

Two Harvard educators and a Princeton politician reached a meeting of the minds on the need for expanding America's "social capital," on television Sunday.

Dean Bundy, a staunch Republican, concurred with Democrats Adlai Stevenson and J. Kenneth Galbraith, professor of Economics, in urging that more of the national product be devoted to education and less to "tail fins." The three appeared on WGBH-TV's panel show "Search for Truth," Sunday afternoon.

Galbraith interjected one dissonant note into the harmonious session by criticizing Stevenson's plan for reorganizing the Pentagon into bureaus. Galbraith termed all such efficiency schemes "escapism," but was countered by Bundy, who declared that "we must try to do the things we have to do efficiently; better spending of the money we have will make it go farther."

Except for this one disagreement, Galbraith and Bundy concurred in principle with Stevenson's suggestions for meeting domestic demands for schools and roads and for improving our leadership in foreign affairs. Stevenson advocated meeting the challenge of recent Russian advances on all fronts rather than "overreacting to it" in the missile field.

Stevenson gave qualified agreement to Bundy's proposal for bilateral discussion with the USSR, saying that he was "not opposed to it as long as our allies consent."