Council to Propose Amendment Of Preferential Balloting System

By Bryce E. Nelson

The Student Council devoted its attention last night to revising election procedures, voting to place on constitutional referendum a proposal to change the present preferential voting for Council elections, and to hold the elections for Class Marshal in December.

The elections for Class Marshal are presently held in February or March. The University has long wished an earlier election to provide more time for Commencement preparation.

Under the present system for Council elections, the voter votes preferentially; under the system suggested by the Council, the student votes for several candidates, all votes receiving equal weight. This abolishment of P.R. in the Council needs a two-thirds vote of the student body for adoption.

During the discussion, Carl Sloane '58, Council vice-president, said that the new system would result in the "Bullet Ballot," voting only for one person. He cited as evidence of such possible malfeasance examples of voter manipulation by ballot-box watchers he had seen in Dunster and Lowell Houses.

Jerry Kolodny '58 suggested that Student Council endorsement of the measure should be put on the ballot.

In other Council action, Sloane proposed that two new people be elected to the Council to serve as special NSA representatives. He stated that this would give new prestige to the office and attract better people, "people who see the whole broad concept of the Student Council."

Brachman substituted a motion to permit the President to appoint a special NSA director from outside the Council. George Pontikes '59 supported this, saying, "If the President is empowered to go among the masses, he will." Kolodny also gave his support, "It's time we did something radical," he suggested.

The Brachman substitute was voted 8-7, Johnson casting the deciding vote. The Council also passed Brachman's resolution urging closer cooperation between the Council and the House Committees.