Soccermen Must Defeat Rugged Bruins

The Crimson soccer team this afternoon will take on a Bruin with a tendency to use his claws in the clinches and will do so in the shadows of his own lair, in Providence.

The game is the first move in the varsity's back-handed bid for the Ivy League championship; the title will fall to the Crimson if it can whip Brown today and Yale next week, provided the Elis meanwhile abet the cause by defeating Princeton.

In spite of the importance of today's game to the varsity's aspirations, the team seems to be down after the Princeton effort and pointing for the Yale game. Crimson captain Jim Shue, however, said last night, "Tomorrow's game is like a primary before the big voting; you've got to win this one to stay in the running."

The Brown defense has verged on the porous, letting in 17 goals in Ivy competition, while the offense has managed only six for itself. The Crimson has held opponents to six, scoring five. Brown has won two, lost two, tied one; the varsity has won two, lost one, tied one, in Ivy play.

The Crimson line-up, consistently depleted by injuries in early games will be at full strength today, with the exception of goalie Jim Perkins.

A tentative starting lineup for Saturday's game with Brown, released yesterday by head coach John Yovicsin, clearly indicated the extent of the physical damage suffered by the Crimson football forces in the Princeton game last weekend. As of last evening, only five varsity regulars were slated to open against the Bruins.