H.A.A. Plans to Renovate Fields in Stadium Area

The Harvard Athletic Association plans to spend $500,000 remodeling the area near the football stadium, Carroll F. Getchell, Business Manager of the Department of Athletics, announced last night.

Getchell said that the Association will spend most of the money remodeling the Junior Varsity, freshman, and intramural football fields, resurfacing existing tennis courts, and constructing new intramural fields behind the stadium. Getchell added that no ney buildings are presently being contemplated.

With the construction of the new Houses, Getchell stated, there is a need for more intramural athletic lands, as well as a remodeling of the present "wavy" athletic field surfaces.

Funds for the remodeling will be obtained from the Program for Harvard College, in which $2,000,000 has been designated for the H.A.A. The Program has already received $346,857.32 in donations specified for "athletic uses."

Laurance O. Pratt '26, Director of Public Relations for the Program for Harvard College, said that $128,354.37 of the money earmarked for the Association has been already named the "Red Top Fund."

"Red Top" is an area of 23.66 acres located on the Thames River near New London, Conn., where the varsity and freshman crew squads live while training for the Harvard-Yale regatta in the spring. Six buildings are located on the property, including a varsity quarters, a dining hall, boat house, and coaches' residence.