Shipment of U.S. Arms Welcomed In Tunisia, Protested in France; Killian Installed as Science Aide

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON, Nov. 15--Dr. James R. Killian Jr., president of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, was sworn in this morning as President Eisenhower's scientific military coordinator.

On leave from MIT, Killian has the job of eliminating delay and interservice rivalry in the field of military science. The extent of his authority has still to be tested, however.

Asked about the situation, Secretary of Defense McElroy said he had "not heard that Dr. Killian's authority will extend to giving orders within the Defense Department." But McElroy said Killian would always be welcome at the Pentagon.

Killian declined to comment on the scope of his duties.

Arms Delivered to Tunis

TUNIS, Tunisia, Nov. 15--This young Arab nation's pro-Western president declared today delivery of small arms to Tunisia by the United States and Britain could change the history of North Africa.

The deliveries put France in a towering rage. Frenchmen believe that arms are going straight to the Algerian rebels and that Britain and the United States know it.

Some American sources admit privately it it possible some arms may fall into rebel hands despite Tunisian President Habib Bourguiba's pledges to the contrary.

But even if this happens they believe it is a necessary risk because the only alternative is unlimited Soviet-Egyptian arms deliveries to Tunisia.

Squillante Takes Fifth

WASHINGTON, Nov. 15--Vincent Jimmy Squillante, alleged overlord of a 50-million-dollar a year trash collecting industry, stepped behind the Fifth Amendment today when questioned before a Senate investigating committee. Committeemen said they planned to explore later whether the Mafia is involved in the giant Teamsters Union "generally" and is trying to take over the country.