A CLARIFICATION

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In yesterday's edition the following statement appeared on the front page:

"'The Council may be useless, but it's a happy group,' announced President Larry R. Johnson '58." This statement is not true. Mr. Johnson made no such "announcement," I did....

Before the Council meeting began, we were all walking around the room assembling pages of the Tutorial Report so that it might be released to the student body as quickly as possible. The picture appeared rather amusing to me and evoked the jesting response which, when it appeared in the CRIMSON, indicated an attitude somewhat distant from jocular.

Moreover, the editorial comment that the Council would be better if it did not exist is a feeling not particular to the CRIMSON alone. Many students would undoubtedly agree. Yet it is disheartening to realize that the CRIMSON will reach such depths in its verbal campaign to bury the Council that it will misinterpret Council meetings and, indeed, print bare falsehood.

I think that the CRIMSON owes its readers an apology for misrepresentation. H. Lawrence Tafe, III   Dudley House Representative   of Student Council

The CRIMSON apologizes for having misrepresented Council President Larry Johnson '58.--Ed.