Leverett Will Be Visited by Noted Writer

House to Sponsor Charles P. Snow

Charles P. Snow, well-known English novelist, physicist, and Civil Service Commissioner, will visit Leverett House for several weeks this winter, John J. Conway, Master of the House, announced yesterday.

Snow, who will arrive late in February, will be the first of several visitors to the House next term. The visits will be financed by the Ford Foundation, which has granted each House $2400 for "educational purposes."

After receiving his Ph.D. in physics at Cambridge, the author remained to teach at Christ's College until World War II. He became a Civil Service Commissioner in 1945, after several years as Chief of Scientific Personnel for the Ministry of Labor during the war. He is now a director of the English Electric Company.

The author's wife, Pamela Hansford Johnson, also a well-known English writer and critic, may accompany Snow when he comes to the United States to give a series of lectures.

Conway added that he had not completed arrangements for other visitors to the House. He denied a rumor that Jack Kerovac, author of "On the Road," a novel about American bohemians, was coming to Leverett.

Leverett is the second House to sponsor a series of visits by well-known people under the Ford Grant. Adams has announced that several scholars and writers will be in residence this year.