Sputnik I Rocket Stays in Space; Hynek Confirmed

Smithsonian Trackers Say Missile to Hit Earth Soon

British scientists have conceded that their prediction that the rocket of Sputnik I would plunge to earth Saturday was incorrect.

This admission confirmed the judgment of J. Allen Hynek, associate director of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. Hynek questioned the veracity of the British announcement on Friday, stating that available evidence did not justify the prediction.

Observation difficulties have made it impossible for scientists to determine exactly when the rocket will enter the earth's atmosphere. However, Smithsonian scientists have definitely agreed that it will fall before the originally-predicted date of mid-December, possibly within a few days.

Current speculation centers about the heat problem caused by the friction of the rocket and the atmosphere. Russian scientists have expressed confidence that parts of the rocket will survive the plunge towards earth, due to its special construction.

With the rocket constantly accelerating as it approaches the earth, scientists have had difficulty in predicting accurately when the rocket will pass over the United States. It should be visible about 5:53 p.m. today on the southwestern harizon