'61 Five Lacks Height

The perennial problem of basketball coaches, lack of height, will confront freshman Coach Bruce Munro in this year's edition of the Yardling basketball team.

With the first eight men averaging only 6ft. 2 in. and the tallest starter just 6 ft. 4 in. the Yardlings will be precariously small for a college freshman team. To offset this lack of rebounding height the freshmen will have to run continuously and shoot well, and Munro feels he has the material to do just this.

From their practice scrimmages the freshman cagers appear to be a better-than-average shooting team. They have several good foul line jump-shooters and at least four forwards who can score from in close to the basket.

One of the better shooters on the squad is Greg Loser, a 5 ft. 11 in. back-courtman from Belmont, Mass. Loser, a probable starter at guard, has a variety of shots from the outside including a patented, springing, jump-shot. Perhaps the best marksman on the squad is 6 ft. 2 in. Bill Richling, from St. Albans, N.Y. Richling, who will start at one of the guards, is a co-alumnus of Andrew Jackson High along with the Celtics' Bob Cousy. The slender Richling jump-shoots, scores on driving layups and rebounds well from his backcourt position.

Up front, Munro's big man will be Guy Vise Jr., a 6 ft. 4 in pivot from Meriden, Miss. Vise, who will probably start at center, is expected to provide rebounding strength but needs work on his shooting accuracy. Another dependable boardman will be 6 ft. 3 in. forward Frank Barry who scores well from underneath the basket and shoots with either hand. Bob Bowditch at 6 ft. 1 in. will play the other forward position.

A team of about twenty men has been practicing since the first of November and Coach Munro expects to make a single cut sometime before the opening game with the Wesleyan freshmen on December 11.

Pre-season drills have emphasized not only the Crimson's regular high post-low post offense but also fast break exercises which the quintet will use as much as possible during the season. In recent practice sessions Munro has stressed two alternate defensive set-ups so that this year the Yardlings will be able to throw up a zone defense as well as the usual man-to-man pattern.

If Coach Munro's Yardlings can fulfill their marksmanship potential and grab a moderate share of rebounds they should be able to compile a winning record in spite of their relatively diminutive basketball size.