The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Freshmen Pick Natural Sciences As Favorite Concentration Field

History Most Popular

The academic interests of this year's Yardling range from Oceanography to Far Eastern Languages, but the chances are that he'll concentrate in the Natural Sciences.

Although some ten percent of the Class of 1961 have not yet decided on their field, over 500 men plan to concentrate in science, the 1961 Freshman Register reveals. Physics is the most popular science, followed by mathematics and chemistry.

History and government wage a neck and neck race for most popular concentration, with history edging out a narrow victory. English is third.

This year's freshman has a passionate interest in music--although only 11 plan to major in that subject. He plays everything from bagpipes to xylophone. He'd rather join a political organization than a religious organization, and he prefers chess to bridge. He likes good literature and would like to try his hand at writing.

Though many had the same interests, traditional Harvard individualism showed through. One freshman plans to major in "liberal arts," while another will concentrate in "truth." Three or four men emphasized their interest in sports cars, and one passes his spare time in fly-tying.