Two Cities Celebrate John Harvard's Baptism

Two ceremonies, one at Harvard and one in England, will mark the 350th anniversary of the baptism of John Harvard today.

Here in Cambridge, George A. Buttrick, Preacher to the University, will conduct prayers honoring John Harvard in Appleton Chapel at 8:45 this morning. Widener Library opened an exhibition on the benefactor, including the only book remaining from his library, last Wednesday.

In England, the Lord Bishop of Southwark will give a commemorative address at Southwark Cathedral, London, the place where the College's first benefactor was christened. A reception, given by the Harvard Club of London, will follow the service.

John Harvard moved to the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1637, two years after his graduation from Emmanuel College Cambridge. He died of tuberculosis on September 14, 1638, leaving half his property and all his books to the new college on the Charles River in Cambridge.

Little is known about the life of John Harvard, since he died soon after his entrance into the Colony. The statue outside University Hall was constructed by Daniel C. French and is said to have been modeled after a Harvard undergraduate.

A few months after Harvard's donation, the General Court of Massachusetts proclaimed "that the colledge agreed upon formerly to bee built at Cambridge shalbee called Harvard Colledge."