Concertmaster Kirklin Named Band Manager

George L. Kirklin '59, concertmaster and leader of the trumpet section, has been chosen manager of the University Band for the coming year.

Kirklin has an Eastern tour during spring vacation, a proposed record under the baton of Arthur Fiedler, and a possible European tour in his plans for the coming year.

Local Harvard clubs will sponsor concerts by the Band in Chicago, Detroit, Rochester, Syracuse, and New Canaan, Conn. Profits from ticket sales will go in to the Band's general fund. Local club members will provide publicity for the concerts and lodgings for players.

After release from RCA Victor, Fiedler, conductor of the Boston Pops Orchestra, will lead the Band in a new recording next spring. Fiedler also will conduct part of the annual spring concert, scheduled for March 14.

Several Band members will go to Washington, D.C., next week to line up government financial assistance for the proposed European tour. "Sponsorship is necessary before we can formulate any final plans," Kirklin commented. If this backing can be obtained, the Band will go abroad during the summer of 1959.

A joint concert with the Yale Band, similar to the one held last year, has also been tentatively scheduled for this spring.