Winthrop to Use Funds For Student Research

New Program Gives Individual More Voice

Winthrop House will inaugurate a unique "grassroots" plan with the balance of its Ford Foundation grant which will give students a greater voice in spending the money, Albert A. Mavrinac, Allston Burr Senior Tutor, announced yesterday.

The House will use the balance of approximately $900 to set up a long-term program with two distinct parts:

1. Individual undergraduates desiring financial assistance for original research will derive some aid from the Ford grant. Such appropriations would be given "within reasonable limits."

2. Various House groups will invite distinguished guests overnight to take part in discussions on various topics of interest for students. The Ford money will be used to provide room, board, and transportation costs for the visitors.

"I feel that this plain is exactly the way the Ford money should be used," Mavrinac said, "because it will be possible for House undergraduate and tutorial groups to obtain noted visitors, and will provide assistance for students interested in research."

Mavrinac pointed out that this "grass roots" aspect will give individuals and groups more opportunities to use the grant effectively. The students and societies will be required to forward their ideas to the Master and Senior Tutor for their approval.

Construction of a special section room last year forced Winthrop to commit about fifty percent of this year's Ford grant to meet its cost. A portion of next year's gift also will be allocated for this purpose, Mavrinac indicated, but the remainder will be used for the long-term program.