Economist Urges Students to Pay All Tuition Costs

Students must pay the full cost of their education, Seymour E. Harris '26, Littauer Professor of Political Economy asserted in a preliminary report for the Ford Foundation study of higher education.

Harris, has spent the last six months examining the nation's educational problems. Writing in the United Press story, he predicted a 150 per cent increase in enrollment for public institutions and a 50 per cent increase for private institutions in the next fifteen years. These rises in enrollment, he stated, will increase total expenditures for public education by 200 per cent.

The answer to rising educational costs said Harris, "lies in drastic changes in our methods of charging for a college education."

Harris predicted that unless public institutions raise their tuition fees, private institutions, forced to raise theirs, will attract only the wealthy student.

He emphasized the substantial difference in earnings of a college graduate over someone without a college degree, and recommended that students pay for their education through loans from the University on the basis of future earnings.