Opera Guild Proposes Theatre Group Merger

Plan Calls for New Central Executive Group To Handle Financial, Production Matters

By George H. Watson jr.

A proposal for a united theatre group may result in a limited combination of the three major University-wide dramatic organizations.

The merger would result if a plan formulated and approved unanimously by the Harvard Opera Guild executive committee is accepted by the Harvard Dramatic Club and the Harvard Gilbert and Sullivan Players. It is understood that some executives of both organizations have approved the proposal in theory.

Under the plan, all three groups would remain autnomous but would set up a committee to govern certain financial, scheduling, and production problems, Lewis M. Steel '58, production manager of the Opera Guild, said yesterday.

The Guild's proposal calls for a seven-man united theatre committee, including two members from each organization and one representative elected by these six from any of the groups.

This committee would have the following powers:

1) Complete scheduling rights for all Harvard theatre, exclusive of House groups.

2) Veto power (by a six out of seven vote) over any program suggested by one of the three sub-groups.

3) Sole power to contract debt for the Harvard Theatre.

According to the proposal, each group would present its programming to the committee at least a semester in advance. The committee then would publicize the entire season of shows for all organizations.

Committee to Own Equipment

The central group would own and rent certain equipment, including lights and tools. Other items, including costumes and properties necessary for individual productions, would be rented by the committee and re-rented to the production concerned, at cost plus ten percent.

This tariff would provide a guaranteed income for the united group, Steel explained.

Other financial arrangements include the following points. Sixty percent of all profit would go to the committee, and the rest would be used at the discretion of the organization concerned. In case of additional financial need, the committee would have the power to assess each organization in proportion to its profit over the past year.

In return, the central group would stand all losses incurred by any of its component organizations. These debts, however, would remain on the books to be repaid with five percent interest when possible.

Steel emphasized that each producer could expend from his own resources as much as he wished, but any expenditure from committee funds could be vetoed by a five out of seven committee vote.

He further stated that the group could not function properly unless the College administration restricts House dramatic groups, allowing them to use people only from each individual House (including actors, directors, and technical crews) and prohibiting them from using any University property outside of their respective Houses. "Only then would the House groups function as true House groups," Steel stated