Danner Leads Basketball Team To Strong 81-61 Win Over M.I.T.

By Fred E. Arnold

The varsity basketball team overcame an aggressive M.I.T. squad Saturday night, 81 to 61, to extend its string of victories to five. Tech threatened seriously in the firs half, but the aroused Crimson squad pulled away steadily during the second period.

A barrage of field goals by center Bryant Danner at the end of the firs half marked the turning point of the game at M.I.T.'s Rockwell Cage. The varsity had maintained a narrow lead during the opening minutes, and Tech went ahead, briefly, midway through the period. Although the Crimson quickly regained its slim margin, it was unable to take firm control of the contest until Danner began to hit with three minutes remaining.

The varsity's zone defense kept the Tech squad away from the basket, and M.I.T. was forced to rely on long set shots. Only Eric Hasseltine was effective in that department, but he fouled out in the middle of the second period after scoring 19 points--all but one on field goals.

Fast Breaks Successful

The Crimson fast break succeeded throughout the game, and led to the varsity's opening points. A successful free throw by Monk Muncaster opened the scoring, and two minutes elapsed before a fast break enabled guard Bob Repetto to push the varsity to a 3-0 lead.

Scoring fast breaks and free throws maintained the varsity's margin even after M.I.T.'s Herman Burton and Hasseltine began to find their marks.

The teams played nearly even ball during the first five minutes of the second half, although Tech was unable to combat the Crimson fast break or the rebounding or guard Bob Repetto. Once Hasseltine fouled out, the varsity took complete charge of the game, running up a 24 point lead.

Danner led the team in both scoring and rebounding, with 20 points and 16 rebounds. Woolston, Muncaster, and George Harrington scored 14 points each. The Crimson held M.I.T. to 31 per cent of its field goal attempts, while it completed over half of its shots and outrebounded Tech, 54 to 35.

In the preliminary event, the Yardlings overcame the M.I.T. freshmen, 68 to 43, after having led by only five points at the half. Bob Bowditch again led Yardling scorers, with 29 points. The JV team lost to the Cambridge YMCA, 93 to 83