Police Ticket 500 Cars, Will Continue Campaign

Cambridge police have ticketed about 500 cars during the last two days in their most recent campaign to put an end to illegal parking in the neighborhood of the Houses.

University Police Chief Matthew J. Toohy predicted that the police will continue to take action against parking violators for the remainder of the school year. Toohy also predicted that police towing of cars will increase. He suggested that students "leave them at home for the winter."

The latest police action is the result of complaints from the fire department that illegal parking around Leverett House hindered the extinguishing of a fire in the House Monday morning. The blaze resulted in the gutting of a room in Mather Hall and extensive damage in several adjoining suites.

The Cambridge police concurred in the view that the illegal parking represents a considerable safety hazard.

Although around 500 cars have been ticketed, the city has towed away only the few cars guilty of serious violations. However, Captain Toohy expects that the number towed away will increase in the winter, when the police will haul away all illegally parked cars that interfere with snow removal on the narrow Cambridge streets.