Sharp St. Lawrence Six Tops Crimson Team, 6-4

Crimson Defense Fails

By James W. B. benkard

In an amazing reversal of form from last Tuesday's win over Clarkson, the varsity hockey team stumbled to a 6-4 loss last night against a spirited St. Lawrence sextet. The Larries, showing a talented passing attack, took the lead halfway through the first period and held on gamely to win this important game.

It is somewhat inconceivable to think that this was the same Crimson team that had dominated and won Tuesday's game against the Black Knights. The varsity's attacks were sporadic and often sloppy, its defense allowed the slower St. Lawrence forwards constantly to gain an advantage, and goalie Tab Cleary looked very bad on three of the Larrie's goals.

Bill Brown led the scoring for St. Lawrence with three goals, while Ted Card with two scores and Sam Sammis with one tally completed the scoring for the Larries. Captain Bob Cleary, Ed Owen, Bud Higgenbottom, and John Copeland scored for the Crimson. Copeland got credit for his goal when the last varsity tally went in off a St. Lawrence defenseman's leg.

Both the varsity's first and second lines did not look good tonight and this fact may be partly attributed to the below par performances of the two centers, Cleary and Bob McVey. The attack of the two lines is in many respects built around these key players and when they are off, the line just does not function. On several instances, the wings would reach the opponents' blue line a good bit before their centers did and as a result, the attack lost much of its punch.

Three of the Crimson's goals came on a slap shot by Owen, a scuffle in front of the cage, and a solo by Higgenbottom. The only goal that came as a result of an organized pass pattern was a typical Cleary-Lyle Guttu score.

St. Lawrence, on the other hand, had two excellent forward lines that set up their plays very well indeed and kept a constant stream of shots directed at the Crimson goaltender. Cleary's reflexes looked very slow on a number of shots, especially in the first seven minutes of the second period when he let in three St. Lawrence goals without making one stop.