Students Accept Proposed Council Election Change

Direct-Ballot Will Supersede Preferential Voting System

The College yesterday overwhelmingly approved the Student Council's plan to change its voting system from a preferential to a "direct-ballot" method.

George C. Pontikes '58, chairman of the Council Election Committee, said that 85 percent of the 100 referendum ballots already counted agreed to the proposal. Results from Dudley, which completes its voting today, will not influence the decision, Pontikes said, because of the tremendous margin from the other seven Houses.

The new system will take effect immediately. The coming elections for Senior Class Marshal, Senior Class Committee, and for Council Class and House Representatives will incorporate the direct-ballot.

Under the new system, each person will vote once for each position. For example, if three candidates are to be elected in a race, the voter will have three choices. Previously, students voted for candidates in order of their preference.

Pontikes noted two advantages to the new "direct-ballot" method. First, counting time for each election should be reduced from several days to "about 45 minutes." Second, under the new system, each candidate will be elected on his total number of votes, instead of by his number of first place votes. This will help candidates who might receive a large number of second place ballots, yet lose in a preferential election.