Woolston Leads Quintet Over Bowdoin, 69 to 58

BRUNSWICK, Me., Dec. 4--The Crimson basketball varsity spoiled the inauguration of a new coach and a new season here tonight by defeating the Bowdoin Polar Bears, 69 to 58. It was the Crimson's second game and its second victory.

Bowdoin was held scoreless while the Crimson piled up an 11 point lead at the beginning of the game, and thwarted several comeback attempts, to win by the original margin.

The new Bowdoin coach, Bob Donham, and a vociferous crowd which nearly filled Sargent Gymnasium, looked on in dismay as the Crimson jumped to its early lead. Through the remainder of the half, the varsity added only two points to its margin, to lead, 31 to 18, at half-time. By the middle of the second half, deadly shooting had brought Bowdoin within three points of the Crimson, but the varsity smoothly pulled ahead to overcome the Bears, 69 to 58.

Dick Woolston, captain of the Crimson squad, paced the victory. He led team scoring with 16 points and rebounding with 14, a third of the team total. Varsity rebounding was little better than Bowdoin's, but the Crimson connected on 40 per cent of field goal attempts.

The varsity's zone defense checked Bowdoin's offense, and held the team's star guard, Brud Stover, to eight points. Stover was aiming for an all-time Bear scoring mark tonight. Forward Tom McDovern and center Bob Smith each scored 13 points to tie for Bowdoin honors.

Monk Muncaster, senior forward for the varsity, followed Woolston in scoring, with 15 points. George Harrington, the Crimson's 5 ft. 7 in. set-shot expert, scored 10 points, and Bobbie Repetto and Bryant Danner both notched eight points.

Coach Floyd Wilson's whole squad saw action, and Griff McClellan and Mike Donohue played much of the game. Donohue was credited with six points, while McClellan scored four.

Crimson free throw accuracy provided the margin of victory, as the squad scored on 11 of 15 attempts--73 per cent.

Middlebury College, which will meet the Crimson Saturday night at the I.A.B., was defeated last night by Union College 78-61 in its opening game. In other collegiate games last night, Dartmouth downed St. Anslem's 88-66 and Brown defeated Tufts 81-77.