Powerful Crimson Hockey Team Opens Season With B.U. Tonight

Five Starting Lettermen Return

By James W. B. benkard

The varsity hockey team will open its meatgrinder schedule at 8:30 this evening when it faces off against a strong Boston University team at the Boston Arena. The Terriers have won their first two starts of the year with apparent ease, scoring an impressive total of 17 goals against Northeastern and Brown.

But Crimson coach Cooney Weiland has a group of hockey players this year who have the potential to beat any team in the East. He has a wealth of returning lettermen (the whole team from last year with the exception of the goalie) along with some newcomers to the team from last year's fine freshman squad.

This first game against B.U. should prove a very interesting test for the Crimson as the Terriers have always furnished rugged competition. Last February, they beat the varsity in the Beanpot tournament, 5 to 3, in a game that almost proved fatal to the varsity's NCAA chances. Down 3 to 0 near the end of the second period and apparently hopelessly out of the game, B.U. exploded for five goals to win the contest going away.

A good win tonight would establish the Crimson as the top team in the Boston area, but the varsity is shooting for higher stakes than this. In the next three weeks it will have to take on such teams as Boston College, Clarkson, St. Lawrence, Michigan and Minnesota; in short, some of the finest hockey teams in the country. Weiland realizes that a loss at this early juncture would be certainly damaging to his team's chances, but he reports that the Crimson is "ready."

The varsity will shoot at many fine goalies before the year is out, and not the least of these will be Harry Levin, the Terriers' net-tender. B.U. coach Harry Cleverly considers Levin a "great goalie" and he has already turned into fine performances against both Northeastern and Brown. While the Terrier's starting lineup is still not definite, Tony Cicoria and Bub Dubis will probably start at defense, while Larry Creighton, Sarge Kimlin, and Jack Karruthers will make up the first line. Levin will almost certainly start in goal.

Weiland's starting lineup could almost be anything he wanted to make it. Last year's first line of Lyle Guttu, Captain Bob Cleary, and Paul Kelley will probably start. At the end of last year it became almost interchangeable with the second line of Dave Vietze, Dick Fisher, and Bob McVey, but there is a possibility that McVey, may open at defense tonight. If this is the case, Weiland has a wealth of good linemen to move up: Bud Higgen-bottom, sophomore Bruce Gillie, or Dick Reilly.

At defense, Weiland will probably start Ed Owen and John Copeland, a pair that worked to great effect last year. Dan Ullyot and either Dick McLaughlin or McVey will make up the other pair. McLaughlin is a doubtful starter as he has not yet quite recovered from his injured ankle. Tab Cleary will start in goal