Crimson Basketball Team Defeats B.C. 101-86, to Break Single Game Record

By John A. Rava

Boston College seems to inject into ailing Harvard basketball teams a special enthusiasm and determination to win. Last year the Eagles kindly ended a Crimson eight game losing streak, and in addition, allowed the varsity to set an I.A.B. scoring record of 93 points.

Last night, the Eagles were equally generous. This time it was just a six game losing streak that was broken, and not only was the I.A.B. record surpassed again, but Harvard broke its all-time single game scoring record, by trouncing B.C., 101 to 86.

George Harrington, a tiny 5-7 sparkplug guard, was the Crimson's outstanding player. He led the team with 26 points, and singlehandedly broke up a second-half B.C. full court press by a skillful dribbling performance. He would either draw his defensive man into a foul, and then sink both free throws, or dribble past and pass for a basket.

Wilson Experiments

Coach Floyd Wilson experimented last night and used guard Bob Hastings as a forward, and Harrington and Bob Barrett at the guards in an attempt to increase the scoring power. While this did hamper the team slightly off the backboards, it succeeded handsomely. Hastings tallied 17 points, and was deadly in the opening minutes, when Harvard pulled ahead. Barnett played an excellent defensive game and threw in 10 points.

Two other players hit in double figures for the Crimson. Captain Ike Canty scored 19, including a number of pretty hook shots, and dependable forward Dick Woolston had 14. High scorer for the game, however, was the Eagles George Giersche, with 31 points.

Crimson Never Lets Go

Canty opened the game with two baskets, and the Crimson never relinquished the lead. With the score 15 to 11. Hastings and Harrington each hit for a pair of field goals to put the varsity out of reach.

The varsity opened strongly in the second half and increased the lead to 18 points after 6 minutes. Boston College applied a full court press, in a futile attempt to slow down the Crimson attack. The margin mounted to 23 points, and the varsity had 90 points with about 4 minutes to remain.

The final few minutes saw a wild race for the century mark. With two and one-half minutes left, the score read 97-78. Then the Crimson, over-anxious to shoot, lost control of the ball several times. Bill Schreiber dunked in a bucket, to raise the total to 99.

With ten seconds remaining, Schreiber was fouled, and calmly underhanded two straight free throws which perfectly swished through the basket, and broke all Harvard scoring records.