Varsity Swimmers to Face Strong Dartmouth in IAB

Toughest Until Yale

The Dartmouth-Harvard swimming meet at 8:30 p.m. tonight in the IAB has been widely and correctly predicted to be the Crimson's hardest before Yale. But it is difficult to foresee ultimate defeat for the varsity.

Certainly in the past Dartmouth has recorded its best times when it has left its own cramped tank for the spacious Harvard pool. Two years ago the late John Glover set an IAB pool record of 50.1 in the 100-yard freestyle and tied the 50-yard mark with a 23.5. (Both times have since been broken by this year's Crimson captain, Chouteau Dyer.)

And the fact that the Green was upset 46 to 40 by Navy, which lost to Harvard decisively, must be discounted because food-poisoning kept Dartmouth's best backstroker, C.N.L. Sween, and a promising member of the 400-yard Medley Relay team, A.B. Snider, out of the water.

In addition, the varsity may not find it easy to get along without varsity coach Hal Ulen, who has been away from the team this week because of illness. Bill Brooks, who has been coaching the varsity, joined with team members last night in expressing hope, but not certainty, that Ulen would be at the pool tonight.

A Crimson loss would create a three way tie for second place in the E.I.S. League between Dartmouth, Harvard, and Navy. Leader Yale is expected to stay that way today by giving Coach Bob Kiphuth his 500th dual meet victory, this one from Navy.

Contributing to Dartmouth hopes are a pair of quarter mile freestylers, Bahrenburg of Hawaii, and Graf, who both swim the distance in well under five minutes. A sweep has been predicted; Roger Seaton and Tom Cochran are scheduled to swim for the Crimson.

Drosdick Also Strong

A second Green strong point will be freestyler Ernie Drosdick, who is scheduled to swim the 220 or the 50, and the 100. Dyer is expected to swim his strongest events, the 50 and the 100. Supporting Dyer in the freestyle events will be Jon Lind, Pete Macky, Roger Clifton, and Dick Seaton.

The varsity is expected to sweep the dive, since Frank Gorman will return to the three meter board; Greg Stone will also dive for the varsity. Similar success may be predicted in the 200-yard breaststroke, where Sigo Falk and Jim Stanley are expected to swim.

A tight race can be expected in the 200-yard backstroke, since both Sween and P. M. Anderson registered times of 2:22 plus against Syracuse. Bill Murray and a steadily improving John Trainer are scheduled to swim for the varsity.