Varsity to Wrestle Quakers Today; Fencers Seek Win Against Cornell

Pennsylvania should provide the last breather for the varsity wrestlers this afternoon before they enter the toughest phase of their schedule, meets against Springfield, Princeton, Brown, and Yale. Penn has won only one of its eight matches, losing the rest by margins of from 14 to 34 points. The match will begin at 2 p.m., on the I.A.B. mats.

Crimson coach Bob Pickett, as is his habit, refused to predict that his team would win, but named only three Quakers as being worthy of mention: Ken Fisher at 147, Jay Goldenburg at 167, and Ed Robb at 177. Since these are the Crimson's strongest divisions, the team could score its second shutout of the year.

For the varsity, Dave Skeels will wrestle at 123, with Paul Striker at 130 and Bob Crook at 137. Joe Noble will go against Fisher, with Jack Eastling wrestling at 157. Bob Foster, who last week switched divisions with Captain Bob Gilmor, will meet Goldenburg at 167, while Gilmor will tacke Robb.

At heavyweight, Al Culbert will make his varsity debut, having recently been declared eligible for competition. He was undefeated as a freshman, but spent two years in the service.

An unprecedented 9 a.m. varsity fencing practice is being held this morning, which is perhaps the best indication of the importance of today's match with Cornell. The contest, to start in the fencing room of the I.A.B. at 1 p.m., will be the Crimson's first Ivy competition in a very strong league.

In the foil, much depends on the form of captain Hubert Hocutt, who lost two of three against Trinity. Hocutt should win at leaset two if he has a good day, and Peter Boyce is almost certain to win all three of his bouts. Mike Klapper is the third starter, with Bill Trebilcock in reserve.

Mitchell Thomas, semifinalist in last year's Intercollegiates, will probably lead the sabre division to an impressive win. Doug Runnels and Dave Silbert fill out the event, while Mike Woolf will be ready for replacement.

But the epee will probably decide the contest. Doug Fitchen, who won three against Trinity, will lead the division. Bill Chapple and Bob Scrivner will also start. Tony Enders, up from the "B" squad, will probably fill in if one of the starters loses a bout, since the event is the most crucial.