Basketball Team Tops Princeton, 70-55

By Adam Clymer

George Harrington and Bob Hastings led the Crimson to a 70-55 victory over Princeton at the Blockhouse Saturday in a game that left the dean of Ivy basketball coaches, Cappy Cappon, exclaiming "I don't know" when one of his players asked for advice during a timeout.

The winners simply outhustled Princeton, running harder and jumping more often for the full forty minutes, capitalizing on the fact that the Tigers were playing their second game in as many nights.

From the opening tap the Crimson applied a persistent defense, pressing the visitors until they crossed the center line, and then shifting to a sliding zone whch never let Princeton go through the middle.

Harrington gave the winners what they have lacked for many years, an effective set shot, and forced the Princeton defenders to come out and take him.

The teams played evenly for the first seven minutes, but then the Crimson pushed ahead on Bob Barnett's eight quick points and led by 25 to 18. Fulcomer and Harrington were matching baskets, but Princeton steadied down at the end of the half and narrowed the gap to 34 to 30.

The game took on a rough aspect as the second half began as fights twice appeared likely.

After two minutes, Harrington and Tiger Carl Belz scored twice each to make it 38 to 34, but then Princeton fell apart. Fast breaks and cool foul shooting paid off for the Crimson as the home team ran its lead to 57 to 38 after nine minutes, and from there on the win was assured. The home team was controlling both backboards, as only Fulcomer continued to jump for the losers, and Cappon threw in his substitutes after ten minutes.