The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Sport of 'Diving the Sky' Described By Istel, U.S. Parachute Champion

'A New Dimension'

America's newest and probably most exciting sport, diving the sky, was outlined last night by Jacques Andre Istel, Princeton '49 and captain of the United States Parachuting Team, at a meeting in Lowell House.

Describing sky diving, Istel said "There is no sensation of falling, you drop from the plane and swoop down through the air making controlled turns and banks and then after thirty seconds open your parachute.

"It's almost like flying," he went on to explain, "you use your body as an airplane uses its wings." Istel also pointed out that with new technical developments and a stringent safety code the sport is safer than skiing.

Istel said that there are over one million practicing sports parachutists in Russia and that the sport is also popular in France. He hopes that sky diving will soon become an established sport in the U.S.

Last night Istel discussed plans for a proposed intercollegiate parachute meet to be held this May. He hopes to have representatives from Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Williams.

In July, 1956, the enthusiastic sports jumper captained an American team at the Third International Parachute Championship, held in Moscow. Part of last night's discussion included films taken at this meet. He also demonstrated what the well-dressed sky diver wears. Main items of equipment: a main and reserve parachute, an altimeter, a slightly modified football helmet and goggles.