Council Suspends HYRC Charter, Begins Investigation Into Election

Group Will Subpoena Treasurer's Books For Watson Talk

By Bryce E. Nelson

The Student Council voted last night to suspend temporarily the charter of the Young Republican Club at a meeting especially devoted to an examination of the club's election campaign practices.

The Council also voted immediately to demand the club's treasurer's books so that it might examine them with Dean Watson. The group set up an investigating committee to look into the election. Dean Watson will meet with the Council today to consider administrative revocation of the club's charter.

Council president Larry R. Johnson '58 and secretary Merom Brachman '58 attempted to secure the books early this morning. They were permitted to see them, but were told they had no right to confiscate them. Brachman commented after a brief inspection, "everything apparently was in order."

Vote Buying Reported

Investigation of HYRC campaign practices by the Council was motivated by reports of vote buying in behalf of Thomas Stalker '58, the presidential candidate supported by current HYRC president Donald P. Hodel '57. A story in yesterday's CRIMSON brought the matter into the open, when it reported that a freshman had been offered a free membership card to vote for Stalker.

This and other charges were made at last night's Council meeting by Dennis Barber '60, president of the Yardling. He plans to tell his full story in Wednesday's Yardling. Last night Barber said that he had been offered a $40 advertisement for the freshman paper and a free membership card for himself if he would support Stalker in the forthcoming election.

Tufts Involved

Barber's accusations were only the first of a long series condemning the Stalker faction for illicit vote solicitation. David Friedland of Tufts reported that Stalker had asked him to bring over about thirty men from Tufts to vote for him.

One Harvard student said that Stalker had asked for his vote as a personal favor. The student protested because of his Democratic beliefs, but Stalker assured him that it would be all right since his name would be taken off the HYRC's membership list which was to be sent to Dean Watson's office after the election.

Others reported that they had been offered free membership cards or beer if they would vote for Stalker. Participants at the Student Council's well-attended meeting also accused the Stalker faction of breaking faith with the club's principles and with its charter, given by the state committee.

There were no refutations of the charges made at the meeting except for a statement that Alexander Kalil and Rodney Mitchell, both of whom were accused of buying votes for Stalker, had notarized statements denying their participation in such activity. Neither Stalker nor his supporters attended.

Seizure Unsuccessful

After the meeting, Council members tried to seize the club treasurer's books, but had been unsuccessful up to the time the CRIMSON went to press. When the meeting adjourned, the following statement was released by Norman William Smith, Jr. '58, who is running against Stalker:

"The testimony presented to the Student Council reflected entirely upon the Stalker faction. If the name of the HYRC is at rock bottom, it is because of the actions of the Stalker-Hodel faction. If they had refrained from unethical practices, this might not have occurred. But the testimony tonight indicates that they did not, and now the entire club is saddled with the responsibility for the actions of a few. The only course of action left to Stalker, if he has any regard for the reputation of the HYRC, is to retire from the race for the presidency of the club."