Houses, Freshman, Fight to Lead Leagues

Eliot strengthened its lead in House intramural basketball play last night by soundly defeating Lowell. In other intramural action, Winthrop moved into second, beating Leverett, 49-45, and Adams defeated Dunster 51 to 47.

Eliot now holds a 10-2 record, followed by Winthrop (7-5), and Kirkland (7-4). Leverett, Lowell, and Dunster are in a three-way tie for fourth with 6-6 records, trailed by Adams (4-8) and Dudley (2-9).

While a few individuals took the spotlight, team success has depended on many other factors. Solid rebounding and an ability to get shots up from the outside have pushed a tall and aggressive Eliot basketball team into first place. Jim Joslin, John Rockefeller, and Bob Leet spearhead the team's offense.

Winthrop has had success with its fastbreak, using a running game to offset a lack of height. Bob Cathcart, Ron Johanson, and John Chappell have set the Puritans' winning pace. Kirkland's recent surge, on the other hand, has been attributed to new team spirit. George McGarrity, Dick Nye, Don Burnett, and Dave Nasch have led the Deacons to five straight victories.

Adams has been hampered by a lack of depth. Jack Connolly, Peter Krough, and Jim Damis have led the team's drive, but bench strength has not been available to back them up. Dudley also lacks depth but Levon Kasarian has furnished aggressive spirit for the squad.

Yardlings Play

As the Freshman intramural basketball play nears the home stretch, Straus South (5-1) holds a slim lead in the American League, while Matthews South and Grays are tied for second with four wins and one loss. Lionel (6-0) leads the National League, and is closely trailed by Dudley (5-1).

At the beginning of the second half of intramural play, the top teams in intramural standings were placed in the American League, and the lower half formed the National League. League championships will be decided by March 6, and the winners will play each other on March 11.

Following the American League leaders are Matthews North (3-3), Mower (3-3), Holworthy (2-3), Straus North (2-3), Stoughton (1-4), and Thayer South (0-5).

Trailing in the National League are Thayer North (4-2), Thayer Middle (4-2), Weld North (4-2), Hollis (3-3), Greenough (2-4), Massachusetts (1-5), Weld South (1-5), and Hurlbut (0-6).

In "B" team play Dunster leads (11-1), followed by Kirkland (9-2), Leverett (4-7), Lowell (4-7), Eliot (4-7), Adams (5-7), and Dudley (0-11). In intramural hockey, Lowell (7-2) is in first place, followed closely by Winthrop (7-1), Kirkland (5-3), Leverett (4-4), Dunster (3-6), Adams (3-4-1), Dudley (2-6), and Eliot (2-5-1).