HYRC Names 3-Man Group To Arbitrate

Will Hear Complaints On Election Dispute

By Frederick W. Byron jr.

The Harvard Young Republican Club, in an attempt to repair damages done in the faction-warring of the past months, has appointed a committee of three Law School students--members of the HYRC--to "hear, examine, and determine the status of the charges or rebuttals of any and all members of the club," Donald P. Hodel '57, HYRC president, told club members in a special bulletin issued last night.

The committe members are Richard P. Houlihan, Jr. 3L, Daniel M. Hall 2L, and Gary L. Schwendiman 2L. They will be at the club's office in the basement of Wigglesworth D from 4 to 5 p.m. today and tomorrow to hear students complaints.

According to Hodel, "This committee is made up of representatives of all parties to the present election contest. The appointments," he continued, "were ratified by an unanimous vote of the planning Committee."

Hodel also stated that any questions of procedure or legality "should and will be settled by our highly qualified committee."

Last night Larry R. Johnson '58, president of the Student Council, told the CRIMSON that he would place before Dean Watson this morning at 9 a.m. three charges against the HYRC. The charges were, 1) offering to enroll students just for the purpose of voting and then taking their names off the voting list, 2) offering free membership cards, and 3) asking Tufts students to take part in the election.

Watson said, with regards to the Council's action, "It is quite proper for the Student Council to act as a court of appeal for inter-group disputes and internal disputes as well." He emphasized, however that the Faculty Committee on Student Activities--which will consider the problem--it is no way bound to restrict itself to acting on the Council's evidence. It may investigate itself and, in general, do as it sees fit in the matter.