HYRC Will Not Publish Newspaper This Week

Smith Denies Demise Of Times-Republican

By Bryce E. Nelson

The Harvard Times-Republican, normally distributed on Thursday, will not be delivered today. Editor Norman William Smith Jr. '58, candidate for the HYRC presidency, attributed publishing failure to News Editor Clark Giles '59.

Giles, a Stalker supporter, did not have his copy ready Sunday night for publication Wednesday, according to Smith. The former News Editor refused to comment on the report.

Smith denied reports that the reason he did not publish was his meeting with Times-Republican treasurer, Jason A. Aisner, Sunday afternoon. Aisner recommended that publication be stopped because the paper was deeply in debt and could not raise advertising revenues to meet current expenses.

Smith said that he had planned to publish anyway, but because of Giles' refusal to provide copy and his own desire to abide by the Student Council recommendation to suspend the HYRC charter, he did not. He stated that the paper is not folding, and will come out again next Thursday.

Smith had inferred from talking to Dean Watson Monday afternoon that the Administration would support Council action. He therefore thought publication would be a violation of Administration wishes.

Dean Watson met with Council leaders yesterday. He reported that the matter is now in the hands of the Faculty Committee on Student Activities for examination. Action is expected within the next couple of days on the Council recommendations.

Stalker Silent

The Stalker faction continued adamant in their refusal to release information, thinking that the controversy should be settled within the Club. Smith feels that their silence is deplorable since it casts a bad light on the activities of the HYRC in the eyes of students outside the Club.

Smith said he would abide by the decision of the committee of Law School Young Republicans, set up to investigate the election, unless gross legal violations occurred. He said that conflicting results by a possible Student Council investigating committee would complicate matters.

The committee met yesterday to hear charges in the controversy, and will meet again this afternoon in Wigglesworth D at 4 p.m.