ON THEIR HONOR

The Mail

To the Editors of the Crimson:

Every examination period brings to light a basic inequality of status between two groups of students at Harvard. Any one of these days, near the hours of 9 A.M. or 2 P.M., an observer may see Harvard men on their ways to Memorial Hall, the Geographic Institute, the Fine Arts Museum, etc.--Radcliffe girls on their way to Longfellow Hall. Harvard men are faced by a bevy of proctors, whose function, besides that of passing out and collecting blue books, is to serve as watchdogs of student honor. The young ladies from Radcliffe are passing the same three hours with the satisfaction of knowing that the University deems their honor above review.

We sincerely believe that anyone privileged enough to write examinations under the honor system will not take advantage of that privilege. But the fact is that the privilege has been granted to the young ladies of Radcliffe, and not to Harvard men. If Radcliffe chooses to operate its boarding house on the honor system, that is not Harvard's concern. But when an academic privilege is granted to a group of students differentiated from the others only by sex (not by honor) than the chivalry of the University has perhaps been carried too far. Duane J. Murner '58   Louis J. Gonnella '58