Amherst Beats Varsity Five, 64-55; Second Half Playing Injures Team

The basketball team lost to Amherst last night, 64 to 55, after the varsity had been ahead at half-time, 36 to 27. The game was played on the Amherst court.

The varsity fell to pieces in the second half, when they failed to score a field goal in the first seven minutes of play During this time the Amherst quintet garnered a total of 18 points.

Warren of Amherst was the high scorer with 15 points, which is far below his 23.6 average. Following Warren were his teammates Lindeman, with 13 points, and Anderson, with 12. For the Crimson, Woolston, Hastings, and Canty shared the honors with 12 points each, while Muncaster collected seven.

Foul shots accounted for a good part of the varsity's loss. The Crimson quintet experienced its usual difficulty and finished with seven fewer foul shots than the host team. There was an almost even split on the field goals, however, since the Lord Jeffs scored 20 while the varsity secured 19. In the first half, the Crimson made 13 baskets, while the Amherst contingent only scored seven times. The pattern was reversed in the second half. Amherst made 13 field goals while the Crimson made only 6.

The Varsity stuck to its man-to-man defense, while Amherst preferred a full court press. The Lord Jeffs have defeated such teams as Army, M.I.T., and Holy Cross. Amherst is the Little Three defending champions and have won 10 out of 13 games.

The varsity's total record now stands at five wins and six losses, while their league record is two wins against four losses. These defeats came in a row, and last night's game extends the losing streak to five. The squad still stands a good chance to better last year's 8-16 record.

Last night's contest marked the mid-point of the squad's 21-game schedule. The team takes to the road for the next game, scheduled for Saturday night and will travel to Hanover to play Dartmouth. Dartmouth is rated as one of the best teams in the league.