Strong Crimson Sextet Whips Brown, 9-3

By Bruce M. Reeves

A brawling Brown hockey team lost both the fights, 2 open cuts to 0, and the game, 9 goals to 3, last night to a powerful varsity sextet at the Watson Rink.

For two and a half periods of the game no one paid much attention to the Brown skaters. The Crimson, displaying a tremendous team effort, pounded away at Bruin goalie Harry Batchelder who turned away almost seven shots to every goal he allowed.

Then the grizzly Bruin players decided to show the chilled crowd in the Ice-house just why they have the reputation as the "roughest" team in the Ivy League. Forward Rod Dashaw took the first fight--and drew two penalties.

Heavyweight Kevit Cook followed in the main bout and exited with a large bloody cut on his cheek. Cook's performance was typical of Brown's perennial sporting attitude.

Actually, until midway through this last period, it was a good game for the Crimson fans to watch. Coach Cooney Weiland's sextet matched the power performance (7 to 0) it put on against the same opponents last Saturday, and at times looked even better.

Completely contrasted with Brown which could not compose any offensive playmaking all night, every Crimson skater worked in a team effort and dominated the play throughout the game. In all, the Crimson took 66 shots at Batchelder.

Particularly outstanding on the forward line was Cleary's successful stickhandling which often took him past the entire Brown team. Cleary opened the scoring at 2:48 with an assist from Dick McLaughlin and scored twice more with assists from Bob Owen.

Center Bob McVey also skated wonderful circles around Brown's slapping sticks and netted three goals with three assists from Wing Dave Veitze and one each from defensemen John Copeland and Dan Ullyot.

Maurice Balboni scored one of the third line's few goals to open the last period, taking a pass from Dick Reilly. Ullyot and Lyle Guttu also scored a goal apiece, Ullyot's coming on a hard shot from just inside the blue line.

The difference between the teams was simply that while Brown could show no offense, the Crimson never let up on its attack. All four defensemen and particularly Ullyot were outstanding in stopping breakaways at the blue line and with few exceptions put on the varsity's best defensive show of the season.

They were also helped considerably by some good backchecking from the three lines and especially the second line of McVey. Veitze and Dick Fischer.

The win, the third straight for the sextet, gave the Crimson undisputed first place in the Ivy League. Other statistics: penalties, Brown 8; Harvard, 5.

Yardling Hockey Team Wins

A hard-playing freshmen sextet defeated the Belmont Hill hockey team 6 to 1 yesterday afternoon at Belmont Hill School. Two Crimson players each scored two goals during the contest.

The Yardling tallied at 9:36 in the first period, when Butch Walls scored unassisted. A few minutes later, Dick Kalil, assisted by Mel Hodder, swept the puck into the Belmont nets. Kalil also scored at 14:47, giving the Crimson a 3 to 0 lead at the end of the first period.

The sextet lost no time in scoring during the second period, as Mike Graney tallied at 0:49, with an assistant by Captain Bruce Gillie. George Hertcik accounted for both of the remaining Yardling goals during the same period.

Belmont Hill's lone goal came at 5:45 of the last period